4 Simple Tips to Stop Puppy Chewing
Puppies are wonderful, and getting a puppy is a fun, exciting time for all, especially kids. But along with your new friend comes a new set of problems.There are supplies to buy, sleeping arrangements to sort out, and the inevitable puppy puddles to deal with. Most new dog owners expect these things and prepare for them.
What they don’t expect is having their TV remote, cell phone or expensive new sneakers chewed up.Unfortunately, this is an occupational hazard of getting a new dog. Puppies chew things. They always have, and they always will. So if you’re reading this article because you want to stop puppy chewing, it’s time to re-assess your goals.
The trick is not to stop puppy chewing (an impossible task), but rather to channel your puppy’s chewing in the right direction.Here are 4 things you can do:
Stop Puppy Chewing: Keep Your Pup Occupied
To a puppy, everything is an adventure. They’re either sleeping or exploring. Keep your puppy occupied and you can supervise what he explores, let him get bored and he’ll create his own entertainment, which is likely to involve chewing something.
Stop Puppy Chewing: Give Him Something to Chew On!
Puppies chew constantly, especially when they are teething. Give your pup something to chew and you’ll keep him occupied for hours (or at least until he falls asleep!).Cool chew toys for puppies include the Buster Cube, Kong toys, and Busy Buddy. Some allow you to put treats inside the toy, which provides mental stimulation, as the puppy has to figure out how to get at the treat.
Don’t, however, give your puppy anything that can be broken up and swallowed. It is also not a good idea to give old shoes or clothes to the puppy, as he’ll assume that anything with your scent on is fair game – exactly what you don’t want!
Stop Puppy Chewing: Teach Your Pup the “Leave it!” command
Dogs learn at any age and even puppies as young as 8 weeks can be taught basic obedience commands. A useful, and easy, command to teach is “leave it”.
Here’s a simple method. Hold a small treat in your hand. Allow the puppy to sniff it, but when he tries to take it close your fist. The pup will try to get at the treat, but don’t let him have it.
When he gives up show him the treat again. Repeat this until you can hold the treat in your palm without him trying to grab it. Then say “leave it”, wait for a second or two and give him the treat.
Stop Puppy Chewing: Teach Your Pup What to Chew
No matter how careful you are, there will be times when your puppy sinks his teeth into something he shouldn’t. When this happens, the temptation is to scold, or even spank, the puppy.
Stop right there! It doesn’t work and will only result in the puppy being fearful of you.The right approach is to take the object away from the puppy and replace it with something he is allowed to chew on, like a chew toy. Then, when he starts chewing the toy, praise him. Positive re-enforcement always works best.As with any dog training, patience and persistence are key if you want to stop puppy chewing, so stick with it and you will succeed.
- When to Start Training a Puppy: When to start training a puppy, tips and advice on the where, when and how of puppy training.
- Training Older Dogs: The important stuff you need to know about training older dogs.
- Training a Dog to Fetch: Training a dog to fetch – a cool canine trick your dog will learn in a flash.
- Teach Your Dog Tricks: Teach your dog tricks: Cool Hollywood-style tricks you can easily teach your dog.
- Stop Dog Whining: Whining can be irritating, annoying, even infuriating. Learn how to stop dog whining, and when the whining may be a genuine distress call.
- Stop Dog Begging: Stop Dog Begging: How to put a stop to your dog’s constant begging
- Stop Dog Aggression: Stop Dog Aggression: Advice for dealing with an aggressive dog.
- How to Stop a Dog from Pulling: Top training tips and advice on how to stop a dog from pulling on the leash.
- Stop a Dog from Chewing: Read this to discover how to stop a dog from chewing up your stuff.
- Dog Barking: Barking dog driving you crazy? Here’s the easy way to stop a dog barking.
- Puppy Obedience Training: All the important stuff you need to know about puppy obedience training.
- Puppy Kennel Training: Puppy kennel training is simple when you know how.
- Puppy Clicker Training: Puppy Clicker Training: Puppy training that works like magic
- Potty Training Puppies: Potty training puppies is not as difficult as many people make it out to be. Here are 3 simple methods that work.
- Leash Training a Dog: Leash training a dog is easy once you know the basics. But get this wrong and you could be in for a lot of frustration.
- How to Stop a Dog from Digging: Important stuff you should know about how to stop a dog from digging.
- How to Stop a Dog from Biting: How to Stop a Dog from Biting: Practical advice on dealing with dogs that bite.
- House Training a Dog: An easy and highly effective method for house training a dog.
- Stop Dogs Jumping On People: Simple training solutions to stop dogs jumping on people.
- Dogs and Separation Anxiety: Dogs and separation anxiety: How to cope with your stressed out canine.
- Dog Walking: Training your dog to walk on a lead? Follow this simple 5 point dog walking method. It works every time!
- Dog Running Away: Dog running away? Here are some commonsense training and safety tips that will put a stop to it.
- Dog Obedience Training: The Basics of Dog Obedience Training. 3 simple steps to a well-trained dog.
- Dog Growling: Useful training advice on how to stop your dog growling.
- Dog Food Aggression: Tips and advice for dealing with dog food aggression.
- Dog Eating Poop: Dog eating poop? Here’s how to put a stop to it NOW!
- Dog Behavioral Problems: The most common dog behavioral problems and how to handle them.
- Dog Behavior Problems: The most common dog behavior problems with easy-to-follow advice on how to deal with them.
- Dog Aggression Towards Other Dogs: Training solutions for dealing with dog aggression towards other dogs.
- Crate Training Puppies: Crate training puppies needn’t be difficult. In fact, if you do it the right way, your puppy will literally train herself.
- Clicker Dog Training: If you’ve been disappointed with your dog training results so far then clicker dog training could just be the answer you’ve been looking for.
- Aggressive Dog Training: Aggressive dog training: How to train an aggressive dog without being bitten.
- Dog Stealing Food: Is your dog stealing food from the table? Here’s how to stop it.
- Dog Training Tips: The Top 10 dog training tips every dog owner should know.