Crate training puppies needn’t be difficult
The first question most dog owners ask about crate training puppies is whether it is cruel to keep a dog confined to such a small space. The simple answer is “no”. In fact, if you crate train a dog properly, she will love having her own space and will go to the crate willingly. In the wild, wolves will seek out a den, generally a small space where they are warm and protected. So crate training is not only humane, it is natural.
Crate Training Puppies: The Right Way
While it is quite possible to train an adult dog to sleep in a crate, ideally you want to start puppy crate training from the moment you bring your puppy home. Place the crate in an area of the home that gets lots of human traffic so your puppy doesn’t feel isolated.
Put in a soft towel for her to sleep on. The puppy is unlikely to ‘go’ in the crate, but accidents do happen. This will absorb any messes until she is housebroken. If your pup came from a breeder ask him for a small piece of a blanket with the mother’s scent on. This will help your pup settle in more quickly.
At night you should place the crate in your bedroom. Expect a bit of an uproar for the first few nights. Remember, she’s just a baby taken away from her mom and littermates. She’ll likely be afraid and uncertain. Not that you should respond to every whine and whimper. If you do she’ll soon figure out that all she has to do is cry for you to come running.
After a few weeks, the puppy will be used to her new surroundings and you can move the crate out of your bedroom at night. Don’t be surprised if she again causes a ruckus the first few nights, but she’ll soon get used to her new space.
Crate Training Puppies: Special Bonus!
An often overlooked benefit of crate training puppies is that it helps with house-training. Dogs do not soil where they sleep, so when your puppy wakes up and needs to go, she’ll start barking and crying. Be prepared to drop everything and take her outside immediately. It will pay huge benefits later, and make house training a cinch.
Follow the steps above and crate training puppies is a cinch.
- Stop Puppy Chewing: 4 simple things you can do right now to stop puppy chewing.
- When to Start Training a Puppy: When to start training a puppy, tips and advice on the where, when and how of puppy training.
- Training Older Dogs: The important stuff you need to know about training older dogs.
- Training a Dog to Fetch: Training a dog to fetch – a cool canine trick your dog will learn in a flash.
- Teach Your Dog Tricks: Teach your dog tricks: Cool Hollywood-style tricks you can easily teach your dog.
- Stop Dog Whining: Whining can be irritating, annoying, even infuriating. Learn how to stop dog whining, and when the whining may be a genuine distress call.
- Stop Dog Begging: Stop Dog Begging: How to put a stop to your dog’s constant begging
- Stop Dog Aggression: Stop Dog Aggression: Advice for dealing with an aggressive dog.
- How to Stop a Dog from Pulling: Top training tips and advice on how to stop a dog from pulling on the leash.
- Stop a Dog from Chewing: Read this to discover how to stop a dog from chewing up your stuff.
- Dog Barking: Barking dog driving you crazy? Here’s the easy way to stop a dog barking.
- Puppy Obedience Training: All the important stuff you need to know about puppy obedience training.
- Puppy Kennel Training: Puppy kennel training is simple when you know how.
- Puppy Clicker Training: Puppy Clicker Training: Puppy training that works like magic
- Potty Training Puppies: Potty training puppies is not as difficult as many people make it out to be. Here are 3 simple methods that work.
- Leash Training a Dog: Leash training a dog is easy once you know the basics. But get this wrong and you could be in for a lot of frustration.
- How to Stop a Dog from Digging: Important stuff you should know about how to stop a dog from digging.
- How to Stop a Dog from Biting: How to Stop a Dog from Biting: Practical advice on dealing with dogs that bite.
- House Training a Dog: An easy and highly effective method for house training a dog.
- Stop Dogs Jumping On People: Simple training solutions to stop dogs jumping on people.
- Dogs and Separation Anxiety: Dogs and separation anxiety: How to cope with your stressed out canine.
- Dog Walking: Training your dog to walk on a lead? Follow this simple 5 point dog walking method. It works every time!
- Dog Running Away: Dog running away? Here are some commonsense training and safety tips that will put a stop to it.
- Dog Obedience Training: The Basics of Dog Obedience Training. 3 simple steps to a well-trained dog.
- Dog Growling: Useful training advice on how to stop your dog growling.
- Dog Food Aggression: Tips and advice for dealing with dog food aggression.
- Dog Eating Poop: Dog eating poop? Here’s how to put a stop to it NOW!
- Dog Behavioral Problems: The most common dog behavioral problems and how to handle them.
- Dog Behavior Problems: The most common dog behavior problems with easy-to-follow advice on how to deal with them.
- Dog Aggression Towards Other Dogs: Training solutions for dealing with dog aggression towards other dogs.
- Clicker Dog Training: If you’ve been disappointed with your dog training results so far then clicker dog training could just be the answer you’ve been looking for.
- Aggressive Dog Training: Aggressive dog training: How to train an aggressive dog without being bitten.
- Dog Stealing Food: Is your dog stealing food from the table? Here’s how to stop it.
- Dog Training Tips: The Top 10 dog training tips every dog owner should know